Obama fights both a press in need of a close horserace and the lying GOP.
• Barack Obama debunks GOP and biased media "Iraq policy shift" talk, stands by his pledge to "refine" position if situation changes
• General Hayden wants a more secretive, less accountable CIA
• Bush Jr.'s speech at Monticello disrupted by protesters exercising first amendment rights
• AK-AL: Don Young lawyers up, lawyers his staff up too, and diverts campaign cash to legal defense
• Former Senator Jesse Helms, notorious segregationist and reactionary, dead at 86
More below the fold…
• McCain team wants to hustle Bush out the door, put focus on their grouchy old codger at Nuremburg 2008 Republican Convention
• Bush Jr. Remains a Skilled Fundraiser, but His Low Ratings Have Had an Effect – and Are Hurting McCain's Campaign War Chest
• FARC leaders were paid millions to free hostages
• Onion TV's Today NOW!: Bush Tours America to Survey Damage Caused By His Disastrous Presidency
• Kucinich's July 4th message: Help me restore 'rule of law in America' with impeach petition
• Only on FOX: Alan Colmes opens up a big can of whup-ass and pours it all over Karl Rove
• Glenn Greenwald on FISA. the al-Haramain ruling and the current Congress
• Justice Department in Hot Water Over Dubious Grants
More at the Newswire.